Twice a Week Lectures
The course focuses in teaching the distributed systems concepts through projects. The lectures prepare the students to execute the assignments.
Project report tenmplate
Lecture 1 - August 21st
- Goal: Students should understand what the course is about and what is expected from them.
- Introduce students to software as a service life cycle
- Introduce students to Distributed Systems
- Introduce students to Lecture Topics
- Introduce students to project Themes
- Class Overview Slides
Lecture 2 - August 23rd
- Goal: Students will understand the basics of microservices and messaging and preview the semester projects so students can understand what the course is about and what is expected from them.
- Walk through the transition from monolith’s to microservices, challanges encountered and potential solutions
- Microservices Slides
Lecture 3 - August 28th
- Goal: students will understand the project planning and execution timeline
- Project 5 step process
- Apache Airavata background and motivations
- Airavata motivation Slides
Lecture 4 - August 30th
- Goal: Project steps and Understanding of Apache Thrift
- Topic: Motivations for Apache Thrift
- Thrift Lecture Slides
Lecture 5 - September 4th
- Goal: Students will understand course requirements for using code repositories
- Topic: Git and GitHub
- Git Lecture Slides
Lecture 6 - September 6th
- Goal: Students will understand basics of continous integration and deployment concepts and how they apply to microservices
- Topic: Continuous Integration and Deployment
- CI/CD Lecture Slides
Lecture 7 - September 11th
- Goal: Students will understand basics of messaging systems and how they relate to microservices
- Topic: Messaging, AMQP, and RabbitMQ for microservices.
- Messaging Lecture Slides
Lecture 8 - September 13th
- Goal: Project Review
- Topic: Review project architecture and discuss any impediments.
Lecture 9 - September 18th
- Goal: Students will understand use of Jetstream for Continuous Delivery
- Topic: Introduction to JetStream.
- Jetstream Slides
Lecture 10 - September 20th
- Goal: Students will understand service discovery
- Topic: Motivations behind Apache Zookeeper.
Lecture 11 - September 25th
- Goal: Students will understand Identity and Access Management
- Topic: Introduction to Keycloak.